The history of the Bodegas Casa Castillo dates back to 1941, when Mr. Jose Sanchez-Cerezo acquired the “Propiedad Viticola Casa Castillo” for the primary development and cultivation of rosemary. On the property was a winery built in 1870 by the French, when phylloxera forced them out of their vineyards. Over a hundred years later, the second generation Cerezo's revived the property with the reconstruction of the vineyard and the introduction of new varieties. In 1991 the wine cellar was reformed to preserve its original structure, and the first wine from Bodegas Casa Castillo was released to the market. Their Monastrell comes from vines planted in the early 1980's which retains their bright, young fruit characteristics.